Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Yet another year without my Valentine! It's ok, though, Jeff will be home very, very soon. We are just praying that it will be soon enough, due to the latest development...

There is a teeny, tiny chance that I will be induced on Tuesday. At my 37 week appointment, Dr. Nowitzky determined that Cole weighed about 5 lbs, 5 oz, which puts him in the 18th percentile. I was not at all surprised that he is a little peanut; after all, I was a small baby as well. Dr. Nowitzky is not necessarily concerned about his weight, but she has suspicions that he has stopped growing at the pace he should be. My previous appointments showed that my uterus had not grown for 3 weeks. Her concern is that, while he is perfectly healthy now, if he does not continue to grow and develop on the inside, then the best place for him is to be on the outside world. She feels confident that if she has to induce him, his growth rate will pick right up as soon as he's born. Her plan was to monitor him for 2 weeks, and put me on modified bed rest in the meantime. This means I can get up and around, but I need to limit my activity level in order to direct my energy at growing Cole as big as possible.

Bed rest has been quite an adjustment for my usually busy lifestyle, but I am learning to appreciate all of this time on my hands that I probably will never have again! My wonderful friends and co-workers from Keller Williams have been so kind in bringing me food, DVDs, books, and even attempting to teach me to knit (although I discovered I am the world's worst knitter!) My mom even decided to come a week early and help me out. I love having her here to keep me company and help me get those last minute to-do's checked off the list. Even at 29 years old it is wonderful to have your mom take care of you!!!

Mom and I returned to the doctor on Wednesday for my 38 week appointment. This time, Dr. Nowitzky did a BPP and an NST (Biophysical profile and non-stress test). This measured 10 developmental areas including Cole's "practice" breathing and the number of times he moved, and he passed with flying colors. He scored at 10 out of 10! This is a good indicator that he is doing just fine and hitting all of the developmental milestones. She didn't estimate his weight this time because she doesn't feel that 1 week is enough to determine his growth, so next Tuesday we will repeat the BPP, NST, and measure him again. If he hasn't grown enough and has slipped into the 10th percentile for size, she is going to admit me to the hospital right then and there and induce me!!!

However, I am feeling very confident that he has been growing and induction will not be necessary. I think my doctor is just being extremely cautious and likes to prepare her patients for any scenario that might arise. Of course, I can't help but be a little apprehensive about what Tuesday will bring! Hopefully I'll be able to update this blog after my appointment with the good news that we'll be able to wait for Jeff!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah...I'm loving that you have a blog now! Cole's nursery looks great!! Nor surprise there with your decorating skills! :) Liv Marie Delgado was born last week and we are all doing great! I didn't send out pics, but have been posting them over at my blog. I can't wait to hear the news of Cole's healthy arrival into the world! All the best to you and Jeff! We'll be thinking of you. ~Erin

    ReplyDelete